Our department offers a variety of learning opportunities for medical students of all levels, and elective opportunities, special events and mentoring for those considering a career in pediatrics. Learn more through the links below.
- Core Clerkship
- Clinical Immersion Experiences
- 4th Year Electives
- Career advising
- Other opportunities
The pediatric clerkship rotation is 6 weeks in length and is a mix of outpatient primary and acute care clinics and inpatient nursery and ward experiences. The rotation is offered at the following sites.
- Benioff Childrens Hospital (Mt Zion, Mission Bay, Oakland)
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Clinics (ZSFG)
- Kaiser San Francisco Hospital with clinics in San Francisco and Daly City
- Kaiser Oakland Hospital and Clinics
- Kaiser Hayward
- UCSF Fresno including Community Regional Medical Center
- Marin General Hospital and Tamalpais Pediatrics
A number of clinical electives known as Clinical Immersion Experiences or CIExes are available to UCSF students in the Foundations 2 phase of the curriculum. There are 4 types of CIExes, for detailed descriptions see the UCSF School of Medicine website Examples of pediatric CIExes include Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric/Medical Genetics, and Pediatric Urology
We offer several 4th year electives both to UCSF students and to visiting students. This course catalogue contains a list of offered electives. Courses that are not labeled UCSF Students Only are available to visiting students from US and Canadian medical schools. At this time, the UCSF School of Medicine is not accepting international students for clinical electives. If you are a visiting student, more information on the application procedures for a visiting rotation at UCSF and in pediatrics can be found on https://meded.ucsf.edu/md-program/current-students/visiting-student-program/visiting-student-program-overview .
Education in Pediatrics across the Continuum (EPAC) is a curricular program at UCSF that allows a subset of UCSF students interested in a career in pediatrics to experience a pediatric-focused curriculum, enhanced mentorship, and longitudinal relationships (with patients, faculty, and mentors.) EPAC learners form partnerships and develop competencies important for pediatric practice. This program encompasses the range of medical training at UCSF from early in medical school through the end of UCSF Pediatric residency training.
There are many other opportunities to get involved in pediatrics as a student. These include:
- Pediatrics Interest Group – pediatric focused student run organization
- Children’s Health Hut – non-profit volunteer organization
- PedStars – program pairing students with children with chronic illness
- MedLink – mentorship program for high school students