Our department provides pediatric education for the UCSF School of Medicine, one of the elite medical schools in the country. To learn more about pediatric educational opportunities for medical students at all levels, including opportunities for 4th year students visiting from other medical schools please follow the following links.
We are also proud to be one of four institutions, in collaboration with the Association of American Medical Colleges, offering an exciting and unique opportunity for longitudinal training in pediatrics. This program, Education in Pediatrics Across the Continuum (EPAC) spans medical school and residency. Click on the link below for more information about the EPAC program.
- Pre-clerkship Experiences
- Core Clerkship in Pediatrics
- 4th Year Electives in Pediatrics
- Education in Pediatrics across the Continuum (EPAC) Program
The Department of Pediatrics has worked closely with the School of Medicine curriculum leaders to provide robust pediatric content in the first two years of the curriculum. Pediatric faculty members teach in a variety of courses, serving as lecturers, small group facilitators, physical exam instructors, and clinical preceptors.
In addition, the university and our department support many pediatric elective experiences in the pre-clerkship years. These include:
- Pediatrics Interest Group – pediatric focused student run organization
- Children’s Health Hut – non-profit volunteer organization
- PedStars – program pairing students with children with chronic illness
- MedLink – mentorship program for high school students
- EPAC Program – curricular track allowing pediatric focus during medical school
The School of Medicine offers multiple approaches to students’ clinical education during the core clerkships , including traditional rotations, 6 month structured programs, and yearlong integrated clerkships. See link under core clerkships for more information. The traditional pediatric clerkship rotation is 6 weeks in length and comprised of a mix of outpatient primary and acute care clinics and inpatient nursery and ward experiences. The rotation is offered at the following six sites.
- UCSF Medical Center (Moffitt-Long Hospital and clinics at Parnassus, Mt Zion, and Mission Bay)
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Clinics (ZSFG)
- Kaiser San Francisco Hospital with clinics in San Francisco and Daly City
- Kaiser Oakland Hospital and Clinics
- Valley Care Medical Center Hospital with clinics at Valley Care and with community pediatricians
- Children’s Hospital Central California (aka Valley Children’s) and Clinics
The Department of Pediatrics is pleased to offer several 4th year electives both to UCSF students and to visiting students. Please link to the course catalog for a list of offered electives. Courses that are not labeled UCSF Students Only are available to visiting students from US and Canadian medical schools. At this time, the UCSF School of Medicine is not accepting international students for clinical electives.
If you are a visiting student please use the following links for more information on the application procedures for a visiting rotation at UCSF and in pediatrics.
Education in Pediatrics across the Continuum (EPAC) is a curricular program at UCSF that allows a subset of UCSF students interested in a career in pediatrics to experience a pediatric-focused curriculum, enhanced mentorship, and longitudinal relationships (with patients, faculty, and mentors.) EPAC learners form partnerships and develop competencies important for pediatric practice. This program encompasses the range of medical training at UCSF from early in medical school through the end of UCSF Pediatric residency training.