Why Choose UCSF
Our vision is to train physician leaders who advance children’s health and health equity.
We offer outstanding clinical training, professional development, and individualized mentorship in an inclusive, supportive community for the development of skills to excel as clinicians, advocates, researchers, and educators.
To fully achieve our vision, the Pediatrics Residency Training Program at UCSF is committed to the following values:
We celebrate the cultural, language and other unique aspects of our patients AND of our residents!
We are committed to the unique, individual training needs of our residents, and strive to create an exciting, dynamic residency training path that allows residents to pursue their passions and reach their full potential. At the end of the training years, each resident will be prepared to take the pediatric board exam, having received the same basic residency training in all essential areas. However, we strive to individualize every resident’s experiences and encourage residents to be creative to best meet their personal goals.
INNOVATION AND CHANGE
In order to fully achieve our vision and to respond to changes in the world of medicine and beyond, it is critical that we foster a culture of innovation and willingness to change. Residents are expected to be an essential part of the changes that occur in the residency training program. Ample opportunity also exists for resident leadership.
Our greatest resources are our incredible colleagues and the patients we have the privilege of working with on a daily basis. We recognize we do our best work when we are in community with others, and we make every effort to intentionally build a welcoming, supportive and inclusive community.
• Large program with 28 new residents per year.
• Multi-site training facilities consisting of 4 distinct sites, representing three unique health care delivery systems, patient population, and educational curriculum.
• Superb academic profile with nationally prominent department with long track record of training leaders in pediatric medicine.
• Integral part of the UCSF School of Medicine, which is ranked in the top 10 in both research and primary care.
• Demonstrated commitment to education of residents, fellows, and medical students.
• Substantial, structured support for residents to promote cohesion and camaraderie: Diversity Committee, Wellness Committee, resident/faculty retreat, formal teaching seminars/workshops, journal clubs, resident families, advising and mentoring systems, jeopardy call system, resident listserv, etc.
• Located in San Francisco, California – one of the world’s great cities and the food and fun capital of the U.S.!
Why the UCSF Peds Program? Some answers, straight from the residents!
Diverse program/patients/clinical settings
Primary Care Program
Great Leadership Training
Range of Cases
SF General Hospital
More than Hospital
Exposure to subspecialties
Breadth of Experience
Encouragement of individual interests
Opportunity for me and my spouse
Weather in SF
To be close to family and friends
Dining in SF
A place to enjoy life