Why Choose UCSF
See a brief video to learn more about UCSF's pediatric residency program from Dr. Margaret McNamara
Our vision is to train physician leaders who advance children’s health and health equity.
We offer outstanding clinical training, professional development, and individualized mentorship in an inclusive, supportive community for the development of skills to excel as clinicians, advocates, researchers, and educators.
To fully achieve our vision, the Pediatrics Residency Training Program at UCSF is committed to several core values:
COMMUNITY -- Our greatest resources are our incredible colleagues and the patients we have the privilege to work with daily. We recognize we do our best work when we are in community with others.
INNOVATION AND CHANGE--- In order to respond to changes in the world of medicine and beyond, we know it’s critical to foster a culture of innovation and a willingness to change---to be lifelong learners and leaders.
INDIVIDUALITY---We’re committed to the unique training needs of our residents. At UCSF, each resident will be clinically prepared in all essential areas and ready for the pediatric board exam in addition to having ample opportunities to pursue your passions and personal goals.
DIVERSITY---We celebrate the broad diversity of our community and the wide array of lived experiences of our patients AND of our residents! Our program has a longstanding commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We know that the quality of our program is improved ---and the care of our patients is better and more equitable--- with diverse providers and teams. We are committed to having a diverse residency class and are also continuing to build our climate of inclusion at UCSF and we invite you to join us in this important effort.
- Large program with 28 new residents per year.
- Multi-site training facilities consisting of four distinct sites, representing three distinct health care delivery systems, patient populations, and educational opportunities.
- Superb academic profile with nationally prominent department and long track record of training leaders in pediatric medicine.
- Integral part of the UCSF School of Medicine, which is ranked in the top 10 in both research and primary care.
- Demonstrated commitment to education of residents, fellows, and medical students.
- Substantial, structured support for residents to promote community and camaraderie: RISE (Resident-led Physicians for Inclusion, Social Justice, and Equity) Coalition, Wellness Committee, Immigrant Health Task Force, Social Justice Discussion Club, annual residency retreat, formal teaching seminars/workshops, journal clubs, resident families, advising and mentoring systems, resident listserv, and more.
- Located in San Francisco, California – one of the world’s great cities and the food and fun capital of the U.S.!
Why the UCSF Peds Program? Some answers, straight from the residents!
- San Francisco/Location
- Happy/Satisfied/Bright/Confident Residents
- Diverse program/patients/clinical settings
- Flexible/individual curriculum
- Primary Care Program
- Great Leadership Training
- Range of Cases
- Community Involvement
- Program Attitude
- Large Program
- The TEACHING
- Supportive Environment
- Great Academics
- Zuckerberg SF General Hospital
- More than a hospital
- Program Variety
- Exposure to subspecialties
- Breadth of Experience
- Encouragement of individual interests
- Opportunity for me and my spouse
- Weather in SF
- To be close to family and friends
- Dining in SF
- A place to enjoy life