PLUS: Pediatric Leaders Advancing Health Equity
See a brief video to learn more about the PLUS program from Dr. Raul Gutierrez
Exceptional pediatricians trained to advance health equity so that all children thrive, rooted in caring communities and supported by infrastructures of opportunity
To train a diverse group of pediatric residents to lead advances in health equity for children.
Through purposeful leadership training integrated with their clinical training, PLUS residents will:
- Become pediatricians with outstanding clinical skills who also recognize structural causes of health inequity and can effectively mobilize available resources to provide exceptional care for vulnerable populations of children
- Develop a foundational skill set of leadership, communication, scholarship and advocacy skills to advance health equity
- Learn to build inclusive collaborations with diverse people and organizations with a common goal of enhancing child health equity
- Learn to design, implement, and evaluate interventions to improve child health equity
- Develop a foundation of self-awareness with the goal of identifying and leveraging personal strengths and areas of growth to sustain a lifetime of leadership and collaborations
- Workshops: PLUS residents have 7 weeks of protected time each year to participate in an intensive leadership curriculum. The PLUS curriculum also helps residents understand existing systems of health care delivery through a structural competency framework, and provides residents with tools for health systems innovation.PLUS provides residents with tools to assess their own leadership strengths and areas of growth, and then offers workshops and lectures to help develop these areas. PLUS residents have 1 overnight retreat in addition to the larger residency retreat
- Community based project: Over the course of their residency, PLUS residents partner with community organizations to participate in a project to help meet a critical community need. At the end of their residency, PLUS residents are expected to give a grand rounds presentation at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital to share their project.
- Mentorship: Each PLUS resident is part of an advising pod, with a dedicated faculty advisor. Each pod consists of residents from each PLUS year, as well as PLUS alumni. Meet our mentors here!
- Individualized development plans: Each PLUS resident is asked to create and maintain an individualized learning plan. We revisit the IDPs throughout your 3 years with PLUS to ensure residents are strategically working to develop leadership and clinical skills.
The PLUS Community
Our residents, graduates and faculty consistently tell us that the best things about PLUS is the wonderful community and network. We have over 50 graduates working all over the country - all over the world, in fact! - forming a tight network of advocacy and support.
Partnership with UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland:
We are thrilled to be partnering with UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. A small group of residents from BCHO are involved in the PLUS curriculum and UCSF PLUS residents are encouraged to do part of their clinical training in Oakland.
Trainees: Check out our current trainees!
Alums: Learn more about our PLUS graduates and where they are now!