Life in the Bay Area
Nothing is better than life in the Bay Area! San Francisco, Oakland, and the surrounding cities offer a wealth of history and exploration sure to satisfy any and all interests. Visit Golden Gate Park, a large and expansive green space in the heart of San Francisco that’s larger than even Central Park; come picnic in the scenic views of Lake Merritt in Oakland; spend every week trying a new restaurant across both Bays, including local Burmese food, fresh oysters, vegan sushi, or the classic San Francisco sourdough; explore the fantastic museums and cultural centers; or shop until you drop in any of the locally owned and unique antique and artistry shops.
The Millberry Fitness and Recreation Center at UCSF Parnassus and Bakar Fitness & Recreation Center at UCSF Mission Bay are accessible to all UCSF employees, including fellows and faculty.
Sightseeing & Activities in the Bay Area
Local places to visit & things to do:
- Ghirardelli Square - Located in Fisherman's Wharf and filled with local shops and restaurants. Explore them with a spectacular seaside view!
- Alcatraz Island - Home to the first lighthouse and fort built on the West Coast, as well as the infamous federal penitentiary. Guided tours available by reservation.
- Sausalito - The ride between Sausalito and San Francisco is one of the most popular, scenic ferry trips in the world. Along the way, you’ll get views of the Bay Bridge and Alcatraz Island.
- Golden Gate Park - The main attractions include the de Young Museum, the California Academy of Sciences Museum with Steinhart Aquarium, the Japanese Tea Garden, and the San Francisco Botanical Garden.
- AT&T Park - Home of the San Francisco Giants baseball team!
- Lands' End Trail - Hiking with a gorgeous view of the Golden Gate Bridge
If you want to take a weekend trip out of the city:
- Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley - The two best-known and largest grape-growing areas in California
- Monterey Peninsula - Charming seaside towns (Carmel, Monterey) and views of the fabulous coastline along the 17-Mile Drive
- Yosemite National Park - Perfect for nature lovers who want to see the famous sites of El Capitan and Half Dome and walk among the Giant Sequoias of Mariposa Grove
Salary: UCSF Children’s Hospital offers a competitive salary commensurate with post-graduate training level.
Housing Allowance: All fellows receive a supplemental stipend per year (in addition to salary) to address the increased cost of housing in the area
Moving Allowance: Incoming fellows should be contacted about this in September. Details about the program can be found here.
Meal card: All fellows receive a supplemental meal card, which can be used at any of the campus dining locations.
For more information about benefits provided to UCSF Fellows, visit the UCSF Graduate Medical Education Office.