Our department offers a variety of learning opportunities for medical students of all levels, and elective opportunities, special events and mentoring for those considering a career in pediatrics.
The pediatric clerkship rotation is 6 weeks in length and is a mix of outpatient primary and acute care clinics and inpatient nursery and ward experiences. The rotation is offered at the following sites:
- Benioff Children's Hospital (Mission Bay, Mount Zion, Oakland)
- Kaiser Hayward
- Kaiser Oakland Hospital and Clinics
- Kaiser San Francisco Hospital with clinics in San Francisco and Daly City
- Marin General Hospital and Tamalpais Pediatrics
- UCSF Fresno including Community Regional Medical Center
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Clinics (ZSFG)
A number of clinical electives known as Clinical Immersion Experiences or CIExes are available to UCSF students in the Foundations 2 phase of the curriculum. There are four types of CIExes: please visit UCSF School of Medicine for detailed descriptions. Examples of pediatric CIExes include Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Pediatric/Medical Genetics, and Pediatric Urology.
We offer several 4th-year electives both to UCSF students and to visiting students. This course catalogue contains a list of offered electives. Courses that are not labeled UCSF Students Only are available to visiting students from US and Canadian medical schools. Currently, the UCSF School of Medicine is not accepting international students for clinical electives. If you are a visiting student, more information on the application procedures for a visiting rotation at UCSF and in pediatrics can be found on the Med Ed website.
Education in Pediatrics across the Continuum (EPAC) is a curricular program at UCSF that allows a subset of UCSF students interested in a career in pediatrics to experience a pediatric-focused curriculum, enhanced mentorship, and longitudinal relationships (with patients, faculty, and mentors). EPAC learners form partnerships and develop competencies important for pediatric practice. This program encompasses a range of medical training at UCSF from early medical school through the end of UCSF Pediatric residency training.
There are many student opportunities to get involved in Pediatrics.
- Pediatrics Interest Group: Pediatric-focused, student-run organization
- Children’s Health Hut: Non-profit volunteer organization
- PedStars: Program that pairs students with children with chronic illness