Emily von Scheven, MD, MAS
My long-term goal is to improve the care and outcomes of children with rheumatic diseases. My research has focused on defining and improving outcomes in pediatric-onset Lupus, evaluating and treating childhood osteoporosis and addressing the transition needs of patients as they transition from pediatric to adult providers. I have experience conducting single-center and multi-center studies of various designs, including cohort studies, RCTs, focus groups, and consensus work.
Master's of Advanced Studies, 2004 - Epidemiology & Biostatistics, UCSF
Fellowship, 1995 - Pediatric Rheumatology, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Residency, 1992 - Pediatrics, Children's National Medical Center
M.D., 1989 - School of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University
- Children with enthesitis-related arthritis could benefit from treatments targeted for adults with spondyloarthritis.
- Engaging patients and parents to improve mental health intervention for youth with rheumatological disease.
- Research Questions that Matter to Us: priorities of young people with chronic illnesses and their caregivers.
- New Medications Are Needed for Children With Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
- Identifying clinically meaningful severity categories for PROMIS pediatric measures of anxiety, mobility, fatigue, and depressive symptoms in juvenile idiopathic arthritis and childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- US Adult Rheumatologists' Perspectives on the Transition Process for Young Adults With Rheumatic Conditions.
- Prioritized Agenda for Mental Health Research in Pediatric Rheumatology from the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance Mental Health Workgroup.
- Infectious adverse events in children with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis treated with Biological Agents in a real-life setting: Data from the JIRcohorte.
- Distal His----Arg mutation in bovine myoglobin results in a ligand binding site similar to the abnormal beta site of hemoglobin Zurich (beta 63 His----Arg).
- Longitudinal disease- and steroid-related damage among adults with childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Gaps in Mental Health Care for Youth With Rheumatologic Conditions: A Mixed Methods Study of Perspectives From Behavioral Health Providers.
- Pilot study comparing the childhood arthritis and rheumatology research alliance consensus treatment plans for induction therapy of juvenile proliferative lupus nephritis.
- Autoimmune haemolytic anaemia and autoimmune thrombocytopenia in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: updates on pathogenesis and treatment.
- A 6-month, multicenter, open-label study of fixed dose naproxen/esomeprazole in adolescent patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- Final adult height of patients with childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: a cross sectional analysis.
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes in adolescents and young women with systemic lupus erythematosus: a national estimate.
- The Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance Consensus Treatment Plans: Toward Comparative Effectiveness in the Pediatric Rheumatic Diseases.
- Malignancy in Pediatric-onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Clinical characteristics of children with membranous lupus nephritis: the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance Legacy Registry.
- Malignancy incidence in 5294 patients with juvenile arthritis.
- Identifying Targets for Improving Mental Healthcare of Adolescents with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Perspectives from Pediatric Rheumatology Clinicians in the United States and Canada.
- Practice patterns and approach to kidney biopsy in lupus: a collaboration of the Midwest Pediatric Nephrology Consortium and the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance.
- Glucocorticoid-associated osteoporosis in chronic inflammatory diseases: epidemiology, mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Educational and vocational outcomes of adults with childhood- and adult-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: nine years of followup.
- Atypical cases of scleroderma en coup de sabre.
- Secondary analysis of APPLE study suggests atorvastatin may reduce atherosclerosis progression in pubertal lupus patients with higher C reactive protein.
- Cancer risk in childhood-onset systemic lupus.
- Perception of transition readiness and preferences for use of technology in transition programs: teens' ideas for the future.
- Inactive disease and remission in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Consensus treatment plans for induction therapy of newly diagnosed proliferative lupus nephritis in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Use of atorvastatin in systemic lupus erythematosus in children and adolescents.
- Self-management skills in adolescents with chronic rheumatic disease: A cross-sectional survey.
- Preliminary criteria for global flares in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Adult outcomes of childhood-onset rheumatic diseases.
- Vitamin D supplementation in the pediatric rheumatology clinic.
- Assessment of bone remodelling in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Laboratory markers of cardiovascular risk in pediatric SLE: the APPLE baseline cohort.
- Toward the development of criteria for global flares in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus.
- What's new in paediatric SLE?
- Teaching musculoskeletal physical diagnosis using a web-based tutorial and pathophysiology-focused cases.
- Relation of body fat indexes to vitamin D status and deficiency among obese adolescents.
- The challenges of transferring chronic illness patients to adult care: reflections from pediatric and adult rheumatology at a US academic center.
- Premature atherosclerosis in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus: risk factors for increased carotid intima-media thickness in the atherosclerosis prevention in pediatric lupus erythematosus cohort.
- Differences in long-term disease activity and treatment of adult patients with childhood- and adult-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Pediatric bone density and fracture.
- Does calcium supplementation increase bone mineral density in healthy children?
- Epstein-Barr virus-associated B cell lymphoproliferative disease in a child with neonatal-onset multisystem inflammatory disease.
- Neuropsychiatric manifestations in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus and association with antiphospholipid antibodies.
- Variable deficits of bone mineral despite chronic glucocorticoid therapy in pediatric patients with inflammatory diseases: a Glaser Pediatric Research Network study.
- Neonatal-onset multisystem inflammatory disorder: the emerging role of pyrin genes in autoinflammatory diseases.
- Association between beta2-glycoprotein I gene polymorphisms and pediatric SLE and antiphospholipid antibodies.
- Assessment of atherosclerotic risk factors and endothelial function in children and young adults with pediatric-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Back to school on APS: rethinking the risk of recurrent stroke in children.
- Thrombosis and pediatric Wegener's granulomatosis: acquired and genetic risk factors for hypercoagulability.
- Anti-beta2-glycoprotein I antibodies in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid syndrome.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid syndrome in children and adolescents.
- Pediatric Wegener's granulomatosis complicated by central nervous system vasculitis.
- Aberrant intermolecular disulfide bonding in a mutant HLA-DM molecule: implications for assembly, maturation, and function.
- Clinical characteristics of antiphospholipid antibody syndrome in children.
- Analysis of HLA-DMB mutants and -DMB genomic structure.
- Hygienic problems in anaesthesia and intensive care therapy.
- [Chemical disinfection of anaesthetic equipment (author's transl)].